Arthritis and related conditions include over 100 different diseases that affect the joints and other parts of the body. Arthritis causes pain, stiffness, and in some cases swelling in or around the joints. Arthritis is a leading cause of disability.
A unique partnership currently exists between the Georgia Department of Public Health and the Georgia Chapter of the Arthritis Foundation. This partnership exists as a response to the National Arthritis Action Plan (NAAP). Currently, Georgia has developed a statewide plan based on the NAAP, entitled the Georgia Arthritis Action Plan (GAAP). A core component of this plan includes arthritis surveillance and epidemiology.
- To describe disease distribution and risk factors for arthritis in Georgia.
- To explore the usefulness of various data sets for arthritis surveillance.
- To produce arthritis data reports for the public and health care professionals.
- To provide support and direction for the Georgia Arthritis Action Plan.
Data & Reports
Arthritis Data Summary 2008
Arthritis Program and Data Summary 2008
Arthritis Data Summary 2007
- Arthritis Program and Data Summary 2007
- Georgia Arthritis Burden Report, 2006
- This report presents the estimated prevalence of arthritis in Georgia by age, race/ethnicity, sex, and across the 18 public health districts. Adults with arthritis are compared to those without on modifiable risk factors, health-related quality of life, impact of arthritis, arthritis management, and comorbid health conditions. Information on hospitalizations due to arthritis is also reported.
- Arthritis Data Summary 2006
- Arthritis Program and Data Summary 2006
- Arthritis Data Summary 2005
- Georgia Arthritis Report 2002
- This report includes the prevalence of arthritis in Georgia within specific demographic groups including age, race, sex, education, income and geography. It addresses disease awareness and compares Georgians with arthritis to those without it terms of health status, employment, mental health, inactivity, and weight. It also presents information on costs and deaths associated with arthritis in Georgia.
The report also presents the Georgia Arthritis Action Plan, a collaborative public health plan to help Georgian's with arthritis.
- Arthritis in Georgia Senior Centers: Fact Sheet
- These fact sheet findings describe how arthritis affects selected Georgia senior center members with regards to prevalence, arthritis awareness, current treatment, care, activity limitation, and pain.